Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Module 4 - Mindmap - Connectivism

 Reflection of Mindmap

http://www.scribd.com/doc/91692581/Mindmap-Module-4#page=1


When I created the mind map to outline the various connections there were significant areas used that has influence my thinking. I identified a few patterns in the tools I rely on and the level of "connectedness" across different facets of my life. I was a not surprised that the connections in my personal life were so cohesive.  My immediate family uses various types of social networks such as Facebook, email and texting. Then in my professional and academic connectedness I use somewhat similar networks or maybe a little more.  In these areas, I spend time connecting with other individuals, creating knowledge, and sharing information by using such technology as LotusNotes, Pintrest, Mimios, and various internet sites. Sad to think and say most of my personal connections are in my professional and academic areas.

I have discovered Pintrest this year which has created a new way for me to acquire information on a personal and professional level. Through Pintrest I have been able to connect with people I would otherwise never have an opportunity to network and gather inspiring information. The network provided me with not only information, but resources. This is the same with blogs and podcast that I learned to use in graduate school and personally. All of these technological tools have been a great access in gathering information anytime and anywhere.

I have used multiple search engines and key words that provide me quickly a series of references.  I read those references and use their bibliographies to develop further references. Siemens (2006) states that the acquirement realms of learning is fact-finding and inquiry-based which the learner obtains the needed knowledge and actively enter the process in order to assuage personal motivations and interest.  As a student I accumulate a collage of information; I cull it to reduce the information to the most important points.

Reference:
Siemens, G (2006) Knowing Knowledge. Copyright 2006 by George Siemens.

5 comments:

  1. Dwanell-

    I cannot believe I did not think about Pinterest as one of my networks. Much of my extra time is spent on this website. With a collaboration of resources from all over the internet, it is an easy way to discover information, blogs, activities, etc. Many people believe it is simply pictures of decorating and craft ideas, but many of the activities I incorporate in my classroom have been derived from a resource on Pinterest.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwanell,

    I have heard of Pinterest, but have not utilized it. This is definitely something I will have to look into since you stated that it has resources and people to connect with to help you with these resources. I also read Heather's comment of how people think of it less than what is actually is. I have found lesson plans from other teachers on the Internet, but both you and Heather have peeked my interest in Pinterest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,

    It is far from just decorating and crafts. There are so many things to help you in education. My principal and other educators at my school have created a following for each other. This has created a whole new resources for us. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dwanell,

    Like the others who have responded to your post, your mention of Pinterest caught my attention. I also use Pinterest to access resources to use in my classroom. I just recently began blogging (thanks to our course requirements); however, Pinterest has provided me with additional blogs created by teachers with wonderful ideas. Do you post your own ideas and instructional strategies/activities on Pinterest or are you like me, reluctant to take the step into being more active in the blogging world?

    Great post,
    ~Laura

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also taken a liking to Pinterest as of lately. I have found myself using it for professional and personal reasons such as for teacher tidbits, homeowner advice and food ideas. I have found myself connecting with various people and others have been connecting with me as well. Seeing new things and learning from others is happening more and more in social networking right now. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete